[ltp] USB 2.0 broken

Joerg Platte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:57:23 +0100

Hi,

it looks like the USB ports of my T40p are broken. USB mouse is working but
every USB 2.0 compliant device does not work. When inserting a USB 2.0 device
the kernel prints only the following lines to syslog
Dec 17 10:44:18 ibm kernel: usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
and address 15
Dec 17 10:44:19 ibm kernel: usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
and address 20

But, for example, in case of a mass storage device no device node is created.
IIRC there was a physical problem with USB and older Intel chipsets and some
Thinkpads were affected. Since I like my T40p and since I dislike PCMCIA USB
cards there seems to be no other choice then replacing the system board. Is
this correct or should I try something else first? If I should replace the
board, where can I buy a new one in Germany? I found a vendor in the US on
ebay but I would prefer to buy it in Germany.

regards,
Jörg