[ltp] Can't set resolution of second monitor above 1024x758

Phil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:19:54 +0000

OK, tried, radeonhd and it didn't like my graphics card - ended up in
800x600 mode on the laptop display :-(
Finally rolled back to the ATI proprietary version that comes with Gutsy
rather the latest - and aticonfig has finally got me back to a 1400x1050
and 1280x1024 (internal and external) spread desktop which is where I
want to be. Strangely fglrx shows

    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1)

So it doesn't actually appear to be running the ATI driver, despite
'fglrx' being the driver specified in xorg.conf, and the restricted
drivers manager shows the ATI driver to be 'enabled' but 'not in use'.

I'm puzzled, but after a weekend spent trying to sort this out I'm
leaving it the way it is! I also get around 840 fps on glxgears which is
nowhere near the 4000 I was getting with the latest ATI driver but a
damn sight better than the 250 I was getting with the Vesa driver.

The other problem is that I don't appear to have an xv capable display,
but using the x11 output on mplayer works fine.

Having spent several days on trying to get this out I'm none the wiser
how all this stuff (xorg, device driver, kernel driver etc) hangs
together. The man pages don't give any decent explanation or examples,
and I haven't found anything on the net that explains this in
straightforward terms. If anyone can point me at a good explanation I'd
be grateful.

Cheers
Phil