[ltp] USB 2.0 broken

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:48:01 +0100

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 13:26 -0500, Brad Langhorst wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 13:29 +0100, Joerg Platte wrote:
> > Am Montag, 17. Dezember 2007 schrieb Joerg Bruehe:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > No idea about any possible hardware issues (other than that it would
> > > surprise me if a mouse worked and a disk did not, because of hardware).
> >
> > The USB 2.0 stuff is handled by another controller within the chipset.
> >
> > > Just to be sure: Did you check you have the necessary modules loaded ?
> >
> > Yes. When unloading ehci_hcd the device nodes are created, but the performance
> > is low. When loading ehci_hcd the LED of my USB stick starts flashing but no
> > nodes are created. So it seems only the USB 2.0 part is broken.
> >
> > regards,
> > Jörg
>
> This is a classic  problem on the T40... mine ran in uhci mode for over
> a year after that happened. Others saw it as a sign of impending usb
> failure.
>
> You could put in a pcmcia usb card or just practice being zen while
> waiting for transfers.
>
> brad

Hi,

same for my T40 too. It worked for 3,5 years fine and then it was
broken.

For me this is a hardware issue, because windows do the same and both
windows and linux were reinstalled for tests on a clean harddisk.

PCMCIA is the only solution I know about.

I've blacklisted ehci_hcd (USB 2.0 modul), so I can use USB 2.0 devices
with USB 1.1. Of cause it's very slow, but better then errors.

Greetz

Konstantin Filtschew

--
Building an operation system without source code,
is like buying a self assemble space shuttle