[ltp] x31, dualview with xrandr and 1680x1050

Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:09:58 -0500

On Dec 18, 2007 8:09 AM, come se fosse antani <antani@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2007 10:21 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:

> --rate
> > > 60

> more
> > > vram
> > > depth

> as
> > > the

> sucks.

> hw

> > > thank you for the link.
> > > In that page I can't found any information about the limit (of xrandr's
> > > virtual size) that can reach the video chipset or how can I calculate
> it.
> > > in the hardware  matrix I found only one laptop with my chipset, the
> 855GM.
> > > it's a Dell Latitude D505 and the user says that he was able with
> > > 915resolution to set the res to 1400x1050. Googling for this laptop I
> found
> > > that the 15'' has an internal LCD with a max res of 1400x1050, so I
> would
> > > guess that he's not speaking about external resolution.
> > > I tried with gutsy with the new xorg configuration tools (for both
> internal
> > > and external resolution) but with no luck: either the external LCD gives
> me
> > > a "input not supported" or X.org doesnt start at all.
> > > can you give some (more) resources to read to understand this points?
> >
> > The max 3D surface on the i945 and below is 2048x2048.  I *think* you
> > can use total desktop larger than that (by specifying a larger virtual
> > size) but you won't be able to use 3D.  For i965 the limit is
> > 8192x8192.  You don't need to worry about applications like
> > 915resolution or 855resolution any more since the newer intel drivers
> > have full mode setting support.
> >

> Thank you for the answer. You writes about 3d limitation but not XVideo
> output, right? I remember that some months ago Xinerama had problems with
> vga-out and XV on external screens.

Xv is probably ok, but I'm not that familiar with the HW.

> If the limit is 2048x2048 with 3d (and compiz) I guess I can't use the
> resolution of my external LCD, 1440x900. :(
> Do you know if it's possible to have a part of the screen with 3d and the
> second one without? I know that speaking about virtual size doesn't make
> sense making distinctions between phisical screen, but I'd like to know if
> such configuration is even possible.

I don't think so as IIRC, the stride register for the 3D engine is the
limiting factor.

> Or: there is any work around to obtain a 1024x768 internal resolution and a
> 16:10 resolution on my external LCD with compiz and xv?

sure.  how about putting the external monitor above or below the built in panel?

Alex