[ltp] x31, dualview with xrandr and 1680x1050

Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:38:35 +0200

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 09:06:50PM +0100, come se fosse antani wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 8:42 PM, Marius Gedminas <mgedmin@b4net.lt> wrote:
> > This is what I'm forced to use with my laptop (1280x1024 above the
> > built-in 1280x800).  The same 2048x2048 limit, only in my case it's
> > because I don't have enough video RAM for larger textures (Intel GM965,
> > 256 meg AGP aperture).
> >
> > Marius Gedminas
> >
> what about the RAM or CPU usage in such configuration(1440x900+1024x768)?=
 is
> it much more hogging than just 1024x768?

The difference is not perceptible.  I haven't actually measured either;
but I haven't noticed any sudden shortages of RAM or CPU after
connecting an external monitor.

Usability-wise, a second screen is good -- you can edit the source code
of an application on one screen and read documentation/test the results
on the other screen.

Compiz has its share of bugs with this config (don't keep any windows on
the lower desktop when you disable the upper one with xrandr -- your
windows will be moved offscreen), but it's bearable, with an occasional
compiz restart (Alt-F2, compiz --replace, Enter).

Marius Gedminas
--=20
I am Lalo of deB-org. You will be freed. Resistance is futile.
                -- from the sig of Lalo Martins

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z--