[ltp] Hot swap between IDE CD-Rom and Sata drive in Z61p (2.6.22)

Adam Sloboda linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:48:16 +0100

Hi!

At Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:14:11 -0800,
Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> So, is it even possible? Anyone doing this on a Z or a mostly equivalent
> T60/T61?

I have Z61m and have no problems with ejecting and reloading DVD
writer.  I'm using 2.6.22-rc7-hrt1 (x86_64) on Debian.  I tried to
describe it on my wiki:

  http://wiki.disorder.sk/howto:debian_setup_for_z61m

> The details are below, but it looks like the ultrabay makes my 2nd sata
> drive look like an IDE drive.

Well, this is problem if you need to hotswap.  It always appeared as
SCSI device here.  But I hadn't any chance to swap disks.

> IDE is built in in my kernel. Does it mean I have to rebuild the kernel with
> all IDE built as modules (using the old IDE drivers and not the new ones?)

I don't know but I recommend compiling everything as module (also
useful when you need to reload with parameters).

[snip]

> Thanks
> Marc

If you need any additional information about hotswapping (I don't
really recall all problems) which aren't in my wiki feel free to ask.

Adam