[ltp] brightness acting up thinkpad t61

Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:38:27 -0200

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Sin Tzu wrote:
> i'm running debian unstable with thinkpad acpi version 0.15 and sometimes
> the brightness randomly changes while not doing anything
> how can i fix that?

1. Update to the latest BIOS for your thinkpad if you have not done it yet
2. Use thinkpad-acpi latest from ibm-acpi.sf.net, in its default mode (don't
mess with brightness_enable).

Then, hunt down in the ML archives how to configure X.org and ACPI video to
properly deal with brightness changes in your thinkpad using xbacklight :(

> a. i run a 64 bit kernel, will the i386 module from the project website work
> ?

Yes, it should work.  I have to use i386 because they don't have a proper
arch for "i386 and amd64", in sourceforge.net... and I don't think it is
right to call it "platform-independent".

> b. i run kernel 2.6.23 with debian patchlevel 1, will i be able to install
> the patches even though they are released for kernel version up to
> patchlevel 9, the only patch available for the 2.6.23 kernel at the website?

It will work. Actually, Debian 2.6.23-1 is based on 2.6.23.9, see
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/current/changelog

  Henrique Holschuh