[ltp] DVI on a Thinkpad Z61m

Christoph Lechleitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Dec 2007 14:15:47 +0100

Johannes Bittner schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I need a way to connect a DVI display to my Thinkpad Z61m. Is there any
> way to do this without buying an expensive docking station?

Just for the record, among the 3 docking toys (port replicator, mini
dock, advanced dock), both the medium and big model provide dual link
DVI output.

If your monitor's (or beamer or whatever) has a DVI-I input (=understands
analog signals) as opposed to a DVI-D input (=digital input only), you
only need
a cheap "mechanical" VGA-to-DVI adapter or cable.

The DVI article on wikipedia explains the DVI variants quite well and
provides help to detect the variant one's hardware provides.

If you actually need DVI-D or even HDMI, I'd prefer the mini dock over
any generic signal translation device, for picture quality.

Btw., if using any resolution over 1600x1200 or 1680x1050, you'll need a
dual-link DVI cable. Sinlge link connections might provide some picture
even with e.g. 1920x1200, but this violates the DVI specs and really
hurts to watch.

Kind regards, Christoph