[ltp] Duty Cycle program

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:51:29 -0600

Quoting Jan Kundr=E1t <jkt@gentoo.org>:
> Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
> > e.g. "find / ..."
>=20
> Find usually generates close to zero CPU load. It's disk activity that
> you see as a slowdown.
>=20

It isn't the slowdown I'm trying to work around, it's the heat build up.
Elided some of the relevant parts, the command is:

find / -type f -exec grep \{} \;

It boosts the temperatures over 20C.

> > or kernel compiles, run the CPU temperature up higher than
> > I'd like.  If a program could run a bit, not run a bit, that'd keep t=
he
>=20
> If you're really worried (and have cleaned the dust at first), use CPU
> frequency governors for stepping the CPU down. Your battery life
> wouldn't improve, though.

I rather not use the blunt instrument of downgrading the whole system, ju=
st
one particular program and its children, e.g. a kernel build.

Jeffrey