[ltp] brightness acting up thinkpad t61

Mon, 24 Dec 2007 14:13:46 -0200

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007, Sin Tzu wrote:
> ok i upgraded my bios (adding a delightful logo to my boot lol)
> i messed around with xbacklight a bit, seems to work fine, soon i'll
> re-compile my kernel with the new thinkpad acpi...

Ok.  Keep your BIOS up-to-date.

> also, when i loaded the video module, and tried echoing values into the
> /proc/ brightness files it created, nothing happened (VID nor VID1)...
> could it be because i'm still running thinkpad-acpi v0.16?

No, that interface is unrelated to thinkpad-acpi.  However, it could be that
the video driver in your kernel is a bit old, and buggy.

>  anyway, i spent quite some time searching through the mailing list archive,
> and i didn't find any way to tie my brightness keys to the acpi video
> module... you have the settings lying around perhaps?

You shouldn't need to do anything, it handles it automatically on an
up-to-date BIOS and kernel... IF it works.

If it doesn't, you can use acpid scripts to call xbacklight (but do not load
the video mode in that case!).

  Henrique Holschuh