[ltp] can't boot installer from ultrabay DVD

Pablo Vera linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:15:01 -0600

--------------040506090405080601040305

Old Toshiba DVD drives only support DVD-ROMs, they cannot read DVD-R,
DVD+R or any rewritable DVD.  What you need is a multi-reader DVD drive,
which can read all types of DVD media.  Better yet, get yourself a DVD
multi-burner.

Regarding booktyping, it seems to me that upon closing a DVD+R, you can
fake its ID so that old DVD readers recognize it as a DVD-ROM.

Pablo

ian pert wrote:
> Hmm, interesting. My drive is a Toshiba SD-C2512. I found something
> that sounds similar to my problem here :
>
> http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/help-toshiba-dvd-notebook-drive-141164/
>
> Not 100% sure what booktyping is.
>
> On Dec 24, 2007 12:50 PM, Mendel Cooper <thegrendel@theriver.com
> <mailto:thegrendel@theriver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 24 Dec 2007, ian pert wrote:
>
>     > I have a T23. I am having difficulty booting from any DVD. I am
>     trying to
>     > install Linux (tried Suse, Fedora, Mandriva boot), and it just
>     doesn't seem
>     > to recognize my DVD-ROM drive as bootable.
>
>     Some of the older Thinkpad DVD drives don't recognize DVD-Rs, although
>     they have no problem with regular DVDs. I saw this on an early
>     770X DVD
>     drive.
>
>     This shouldn't be a problem on a T23, but who knows?
>     --

--------------040506090405080601040305

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Old Toshiba DVD drives only support DVD-ROMs, they cannot read DVD-R,
DVD+R or any rewritable DVD.&nbsp; What you need is a multi-reader DVD
drive, which can read all types of DVD media.&nbsp; Better yet, get yourself
a DVD multi-burner.<br>
Regarding booktyping, it seems to me that upon closing a DVD+R, you can
fake its ID so that old DVD readers recognize it as a DVD-ROM.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Pablo
</pre>
ian pert wrote:
 cite="mid:cafa62c00712241016i52896e97v95dadad968b17a20@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
something that sounds similar to my problem here :</div>
 href="http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/help-toshiba-dvd-notebook-drive-141164/">http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/help-toshiba-dvd-notebook-drive-141164/</a></div>
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:thegrendel@theriver.com">thegrendel@theriver.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
 style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
&gt; I have a T23. I am having difficulty booting from any DVD. I am
trying to<br>
&gt; install Linux (tried Suse, Fedora, Mandriva boot), and it just
doesn't seem
&gt; to recognize my DVD-ROM drive as bootable.<br>
Some of the older Thinkpad DVD drives don't recognize DVD-Rs, although<br>
they have no problem with regular DVDs. I saw this on an early 770X DVD<br>
drive.
This shouldn't be a problem on a T23, but who knows?<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
    <a moz-do-not-send="true"
 href="http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad"