[ltp] Thinkpad T60p Wireless card Advice

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 08:25:43 -0800

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:20:57 +0930
> Glenn <gsaberton@foomagic.org> dijo:
>

>> If the current atheros card is an n card, then I guess you should go for
>> the 4965, as you should already have the three antenna in the computer.
>>

> Under no circumstances get the 4965. My T61 came with the 4965 and it
> hangs up randomly. It does appear to work OK on 32-bit Linux, but why
> buy something with problems? Google on 4965 and you will see what I
> mean about the problems.

Regrettably, I concur that the 4965AGN has required me to switch back to
32-bit Windows so far in the 4 days I have had it.  There is (partial)
support only in the latest FC8, ubuntu 7.1, or SuSE 10.3 distros, the
latter being the only one I have tried from this group.  With kernels
prior to 2.6.18, it won't even show up in lspci.  On my home router, I
can get it to associate by using iwconfig, but I don't get any data
across.  I had more success at a customer's site, with non-passworded
wireless.  I'm not inclined to try ndiswrapper in view of past
experience and lack of positive recommendations.  I'm not even certain
there is adequate support for 64-bit Windows.