[ltp] Ubuntu on 750P

Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:21:38 -0600 (CST)

Now that I have Ubuntu (Dapper Drake) on my 750P, anyone out there know
how to get it all working? Here's my wish list:

- audio (just play a wav file, record to disk). DOS was just fast enough
to record cd-quality to the hard drive. I'm not sure Linux can do it. I
know it isn't fast enough to play MP3 files. The chip is CS4248-KL.

- video. The WD90C24 video chip isn't supported by X.org, but the VGA
driver should be able to give me 640x480x4 bits, which is acceptable. I
know the BIOS is not VESA compatible, so that may be an issue. I won't be
trying Gnome or KDE, but I'll give XFCE a try, and probably stick with
fluxbox or another very lightweight manager.

- trackpoint. It should appear as a regular PS/2 mouse. It is detected in
dmesg.

- suspend, hibernate, resume. There's no ACPI, but APM should work. I
don't think it could ever turn itself off.

- pen. There's an internal serial port (ttyS03) which I think is dedicated
to the pen interface. It's a tetherless pen with pressure support and a
barrel button, maybe related to the GRiD computing tablets of the time.
Even if it just functions as another mouse, that would be nice.

There's no USB, PCI, ACPI, IrDA, optical drive, ethernet or modem to worry
about.

Any tips or pointers on how to enable these devices for Ubuntu are most
appreciated. I'll put my successes on ThinkWiki for all to share.

Thanks,
Chris