[ltp] radeonhd or xf86-video-ati (atombios-support branch)

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:37:36 -0500

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 23:53 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Either radeonhd or radeon will give you working display and dualhead.
> > radeon also has support for 2D acceleration.
>
> BTW, the atombios-support branch was merged into ati master, so no
> need to checkout the branch anymore.

hmm - the xorg ati driver doesn't seem to support my card...
I did a git checkout of
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

I did see that the pci id for my card is listed in the source files, but
when i did an X -configure, vesa was used.

I tried just putting in ati like this but the log file indicates that
the driver does not support this hardware (no devices found).
It put out a long list of english names for the various devices
supported, but mine V5200 was not in that list.

I'd attach that log here but it seems to have been overwritten.

Here's the relevant bit of the device section of xorg.conf
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "ati"
	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
	BoardName   "M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5200]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"

Anybody have the latest ati driver working on a t60p?
Did I do something obviously wrong?

I do have radeonhd working fine, so i'll stick with that for now.

brad