[ltp] Re: tytso's ibm_acpi hotswap patch / hotswap on Z61p

Marc MERLIN linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:18:02 -0800

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 10:52:59AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I found out that all my problems were due to my kernel still having piix
> which was taking over the IDE bus and preventing ata_piix from doing
> anything.
> pixx/ide-disk, despite anything on
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices
> and lt_hotswap not even building for 2.6.22.
>
> Once I disabled piix for good, my ultrabay now shows as SCSI, and things
> work. I'm not too sure if your patch actually helps me since it does:
> -          "\\_SB.PCI0.SATA.SCND.MSTR", /* T60, X60, Z60 */
> +          "\\_SB.PCI0.SATA.SCND.MSTR", /* T60, X60, Z60, SATA mode? */
> +          "\\_SB.PCI0.IDE0.PRIM.MSTR", /* T60p, IDE mode?
>
> which adds a primary IDE master, which is what my drive used to be, but
> isn't anymore now that I'm not using ide-disk anymore.

Oh, looks like I was wrong. Even though my ultrabay is /dev/sdb,
kern.log shows:
kernel: ACPI: \_SB_.PCI0.IDE0.PRIM.MSTR: Ejecting device
kernel: ata5: soft resetting port

I'm not sure I understand why, but it looks like Ted's patch is actually
helping my case.

Either way hotplug works fine for me now.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/