[ltp] HDAPS and drives that can't park & can you park 2 drives (main+ultraybay)?

Adam Sloboda linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:28:50 +0100

At Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:16:21 -0800,
Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Unloading for more drives probably needs simple patch or feature
> > request.
>
> Just curious about this: does it mean that all drives support some kind
> of head parking, but that the command is different, and the current
> kernel doesn't know what the right unload command for each drive is?

I'm not sure but I read somewhere that disks have enhanced
BIOS/firmware or whatever software with the unload command.

> If so, any idea where I'm likely to find new unload command patches
> now, or in the future?

I meant patch for hdapsd to operate on more drives.  But I doubt
Lenovo can patch the drives (or actually will even if they can,
somehow).

> Thanks again for your help.

No problem.