[ltp] system unresponsive during disk activity

Joerg Platte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:59:11 +0100

Am Freitag, 28. Dezember 2007 schrieb Marcus Better:
Hi,

> my laptop becomes unresponsive whenever some process does a lot of disk
> I/O, like when I install or upgrade Debian packages. The other applications
> appear to be starved for periods of ten seconds or longer, don't redraw
> their windows and don't respond to input.

I have exactly the same problem with my T40p with 1,5 GB of RAM and ext3.

> This is an R60 with 1 GB RAM running kernel 2.6.24-rc6 (x86_64) and KDE.
> The problem has been around for a long time with earlier kernels. The file
> systems are mostly XFS.
>
> I don't have any reason to assume the problem is Thinkpad-specific but am
> not sure where to start looking. My other laptop, an LG i386 with a similar
> setup but ext3 instead of XFS does not have this problem - but then it has
> 3 GB RAM.

IIRC it started when I applied the first CFS patches...

Grüße,
Jörg

--
PGP Key: send mail with subject 'SEND PGP-KEY' PGP Key-ID: FD 4E 21 1D
PGP Fingerprint: 388A872AFC5649D3 BCEC65778BE0C605