[ltp] T61 Feedback noise

Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:37:24 +0000

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> For the past week or so I have been hearing a wailing noise and I can't
> figure out where it's coming from or what is causing it. The sound is
> exactly like the sound a microphone makes in an auditorium when being
> set up and the volume is too loud or some other component needs to be
> reoriented - that is, it comes and goes and it fades in and out as I
> move my hands around the computer. It happens only at home when the
> computer is docked in the mini-dock, so it must have something to do
> with the dock.

Is the sound coming out of the speakers? (try muting them; does it go
away? try plugging in headphones?)

Your description could be exactly correct: the hand-waving will alter
standing waves. Try muting the speakers, or playing with the various
volume mixer options. I recommend gnome-alsamixer or alsamixergui - some
of the less common "knobs" may make a difference.

HTH,

Richard