[ltp] system unresponsive during disk activity

Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:11:49 -0200

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 07:18:14AM +0100, Marcus Better wrote:
> > my [R60] laptop becomes unresponsive whenever some process does a
> > lot of disk I/O, like when I install or upgrade Debian packages. The
> > other applications appear to be starved for periods of ten seconds
> > or longer, don't redraw their windows and don't respond to input.
>
> What does "hdparm -tt" show?  It could be that for some reason the
> kernel is falling back to using legacy IDE mode, in which case your
> system will feel very slow and can have the symptoms which you
> describe.

I have seen CFS screw up when the SCSI EH is running (e.g. when the optical
drive in the ultrabay is ejected) on a T43, which uses a ICH6 (not AHCI).
It might be related.  The symptoms are the same: tasks are blocked until the
EH finishes its job.  Kernel 2.6.22 with the latest v24.1 CFS patch.

  Henrique Holschuh