[ltp] Strange LCD issue

Jim Rockford linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:15:08 -0500

------=_Part_1256_30855710.1199063708767

I have been experiencing some ugly LCD flicker and blinking kaleidoscopes on
my T41p screen, a problem that gets progressively worse the longer
the machine as on (which I presume means that the hotter the machine gets
the worse the problem is).  However, today I made a puzzling observation.
When I have my Thinkpad placed on my desk, the flicker occurs as usual (and
it's at its worst when I browse the web and encounter flash-intensive
websites).
However, if I place the laptop on a book, raising it in the air above my
desk by 3 or 4 inches, then the flicker is almost completely absent, and it
remains that way.  I should note that if I tilt the computer a little then
the flickering behavior can return.  However, if it sits level on this book
(which does not encompass the
entire underneath surface area of the machine), then the LCD has no
problems.  If I put it back directly on the desk, then the problems occur in
a 100% reproducible way.

Can anyone explain this?  Is it a matter of the machine needing to "breathe"
or something?  Why does tilting the machine exaggerate the LCD flickerings?

Thanks,
Jim