[ltp] Strange LCD issue

Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:06:19 -0200

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Pablo Vera wrote:
> I am having the same issue with a T30, behavior is similar as the one
> described by Jim, heat and position affect the flickering and it is getting
> worst.  I was thinking that maybe the screen connector is loose or has a
> false contact, that is affected by heat.  I will download the hardware
> manual from IBM and see if I can clean and reset the screen connector.
> I'll report back what I find.

AFAIK the two more probable causes for this kind of problem are:

1. Loose connectors or cabling with micro-fractures (to fix: tighten cables
   / replace cable or connector)

2. Cold solders, especially below BGA (ball-grid-array) chips like the GPU
   (to fix: reflow the solder, requires help from a good electronics shop)

3. circuit board micro-fracturers (can be fixed with soldering or patch
   cables depending on your luck, but finding it is extremely non-trivial.
   Usually one just replaces the entire board).

I believe (2) is a common problem on at least the T40, so it could very well
be what plagues the T30 and T41...

Look in thinkwiki.org...

  Henrique Holschuh