[ltp] T22 sometimes doesn't display X-Server

Gerhard Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:11:30 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

please excuse my sometimes bad english...

I bought a Thinpad T22 and evrything works like a charm - expect a
sometime/often problem with X starting.

I use the TP both solo(LCD) and in port replicator (with a CRT, mouse,
keyboard).

When starting X regardless from DisplayManager(at boot) or from console
with startx, i need sometimes 4-6 turns to start it correctly. I need to
hard reset the TP (or shut down over ssh). At this moment X and window
manager are running, in xorg logs there are no EEs, some WWs but nothing
i would say: that's the problem.

In the above state, undocked a well as in replicator, i have a signal on
each display but no "resolution switching" when X starts.
Sometimes i could solve it by manually switching inter/extern display
with FN+F7. Or sett in BIOS Display explicit to LCD, CRT or both. But
the BIOS-Settings for this seems to switch dynamically from LCD to CRT
and back - consequential what monitor is plugged (intern LCD or CRT).

At the moment i use the same xorg.conf for both displays with no seperat
config for monitor etc.

My Device-Section in xorg.conf is very minimalistic at the moment:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV"
	        Driver          "savage"
	        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
	        Option          "UseFBDev"	"false"
	        Option          "BiosHotKeys"	"true"
EndSection

On console i use no frame buffer or similar.
Distribution is Debian Etch.

I experimented with UdeFBDev and MergedFB,HwCursor,SWCursor - but i coul
not reproduce or solve something.

My question(s):
Sounds this problem familar to someone?
Should i better use a seperat xorg.conf or seperat device/monitor/screen
sections in xorg.conf to solve it?

I surely could give more infos if needed.

Thanks and bye
	Gerhard
--
MSCI = M$cro Soft Certificated Installer