[ltp] poor battery-life on X60T

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Feb 2007 15:59:55 +0100

Hello,

>> You will miss linux-PHC (support for core and core 2 is planed but no=
>> released).
>
> So, does that mean that the power-management i use is not including
> voltage-adjustments and that voltage-adjustments are supposed to be us=
ed
> (as in part of the whole power-management thing for this cpu and also
> been done in windows for example)?

The normal power-managment adjustes the voltages according to the intel
specs (Y MHz =3D> X volt). Usually the CPU works if the voltage is set e=
ven
a bit lower. For LowVoltage and UltraLowVoltage models the difference
is small, but still noticeable (~15-20 min ?).

>> BTW: definie battery-mode for the WLAN .. ? which WLAN-card do you ha=
ve  =

>> ?
>
> I have a ipw3945 and have set the power-management with "iwpriv eth1
> set_power 7" which is confirmed by iwconfig.

Depending on the driver, firmware,... "iwconfig eth1 power
period 1000000" will get you more savings. I never tested it on
ipw3945, so YMMW

>> And look at "/proc/acpi/processor/CPU/power". Is the "bus master  =

>> activity"
>> 000000
>> or a wild random number ?
>
> Yes it is a random number, seems to get higher on high clock/load, is
> that alright?

Each digit represents 1 timeslice and counts the number of bus master
activities in that timeslice. Each activity wakes up the CPU and prevent=
it from entering a lower power state (the C?-things). The goal is to get=

a all 0 string so the CPU can sleep in C3 or C4 all the time (and only
has to wakeup for important things like keystrokes or mousemoves).

Bus master act. can come from GLX/DRI (the 3D driver), any USB device, t=
he
WLAN/LAN,... you have to test it yourself by unloading the modules.

Some people prefer a non-3D desktop and a longer runtime, others want to=

use 3D from time to time. Not loading the 3D driver already makes a
difference of about 20 min for radeon users. You have a intel, so YMMW.

> Im also not familiar with those active states (mostly in C2) i have to=

> check that out.

The higher the number the better. C4 is the best you can get. Linux cann=
ot
use the lower C state (they kill the cache), but C4 is already a very go=
od
power saver. C0 (not shown in the list) is the operating (executing stuf=
f)
state.

cu