[ltp] Flash HD in R51 (via CF and ultrabay)

hackmiester (Hunter Fuller) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 20:38:22 -0600

On 14 January 2007, at 14:31, Richard Neill wrote:

> YMMV about whether the thinkpad will boot with ONLY an ultrabay
> device and no device in the normal HDD socket.. It seems to be
> thinkpad specific - certainly when I tried the X22 with USB boot
> (which normally works fine), the BIOS failed if the HDD socket was
> empty.

Ooh, this reminds me to say, that an R51 might take 30 seconds to 1
minute to POST with no disk, but it WILL do it.

> Caveats:
>
> i)You may want to back up your *data* elsewhere periodically -
> since CF cards aren't all that reliable, especially with a
> journalling FS. But 1 million writes is still a pretty good
> lifetime. It depends on your application: for the media centre, I
> don't really care if the disk dies in 2 years, since all I'd lose
> is the OS itself; my data is on NFS.
>

> ii) The physical mounting of a CF/IDE adapter isn't that great. I
> advise some foam packing to help it stay put.  You'll also need to
> insulate the bottom of the adapter PCB with something. [Eg a
> plastic sheet cut from a CDROM wallet. Don't use insulating tape -
> it disintegrates over about 3 months]
>
> iii)The HDD plastic cover is normally fixed to the HDD itself. So,
> if you want to hold this in place, you'll need some workaround. I
> just made an interference fit with some expanded polystyrene foam,
> which is fine for me, since I never move the machine.
>

> HTH,
>
> Richard
> --

hackmiester (Hunter Fuller)

<badaboom> who can help me ? i'm french and i don't know irc
<Paladine> can't help you with the being french part, you are screwed
their mate

Phone
Voice: +1 251 589 6348
Fax: Call the voice number and ask.