[ltp] Re: upgrade BIOS with BootCD ISO?

Evgeni Golov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:54:08 +0100

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 21:38:08 +0100 Sascha Heid wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 09.02.2007, 20:25 +0100 schrieb Evgeni Golov:
> > On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 21:06:11 +0100 Sascha Heid wrote:
> >
> > > I just bought a burner just to upgrade the BIOS because Lenovo
> > > offers ISOs.
> > > It doesnt work though because its doesnt find a CD-Driver on it
> > > when i boot the CD.
> > > Now i might have gotten this all wrong.
> > > The Instructions say to burn the ISO in Windows with the
> > > "RecordNow" Feature and i assume this might add additional files
> > > to the ISO like a CD-Driver.
> >
> > Nope, I always burn my updates with k3b (which uses
> > wodim/cdrecord). So no problems there.
> > Is your CD-burner an internal or external one? I assume USB/FireWire
> > thingies won't be supported by the BootCD.
>
> Yes its a USB-Drive. The BootCD boots fine and loads the floppy image
> from the CD, but there is no CD-Driver part of the floppy image and
> so i cannot acces the bios-update-utitiliy that is on the CD.
>
> Since its about a X-Series Laptop which have no internal CD-Drives it
> would make no sense to have a BootCD that does not support USB-Drives.

Did Lenovo sell the USB drive? If not, it's unsupported, as Linux is :(
>From the Lenovo website (X60[s|t]):

Note: The System Program Service Utility bootable CD supports only the
ThinkPad Ultrabay Optical Disc Drive in the ThinkPad Ultrabay. (Not in
the Docking Station Ultrabay)

So hey, they even do not support own hardware ;)

--
   ^^^    | Evgeni -SargentD- Golov (sargentd@die-welt.net)
 d(O_o)b  | GPG/PGP-Key-ID: 0xAC15B50C
   / \    | http://www.die-welt.net - sargentd@jabber.ccc.de