[ltp] Illogical Wireless Difficulty

Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:33:50 -0500

On 2/12/07, Baz <bazciscor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.  Does anyone have any suggestions regarding why I'm unable to access
> a wireless network with Linux (Debian) and can on XP?  I've had Debian up
> and running awhile now, but lately, on a certain network, it takes upwards
> of ten minutes at times to get it connected.  I usually must go into Desktop
> > Administration > Networking - turn off the "enable this connection," then
> immediately turn it on again - change from DHCP to Static, then back again -
> and, this usually works.  However, when I'm focus on some production task,
> that's a real pain in the a**.  So, now, I'm relying on XP to get the job
> done.  I prefer Debian, but I can't afford it dropping the ball like this.
> The wireless signal is rather strong.  I don't even think it is the signal.
> If it was, then I'd have trouble with XP as well.  At work, there is no
> problem.  Please offer your experienced opinion.  No new packages have been
> added - but, there have been several updates to existing ones.  I'm
> uncertain if any were network related.

I've never been able to get wireless working satisfactorily on Linux
using the GUI tools.  works fine from the command line however (better
than windows in most cases).  try this (as root or with sudo, replace
eth0 with your wifi Ethernet device):

ifconfig eth0 up
iwlist eth0 scan

this should list the available wireless cells.  You may need to run it
several times. pick one you like and then set the interface to use it:

iwconfig eth0 essid "Net Name" ap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

use the essid and ap MAC address from the cell you want from the iwlist scan.
finally, if you want to use dhcp:

dhclient eth0

that should do it.  I don't know why none of the GUIs don't just wrap that.

Alex