[ltp] Illogical Wireless Difficulty

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:05:41 -0500

manu wrote:
 > On 2/12/07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
 > > I've never been able to get wireless working satisfactorily on Linux
 > > using the GUI tools.  works fine from the command line however (better

some time ago i grew disgusted with the gui bloat surrounding this
fairly simple task (i.e., discovering and connecting to both known
and unknown networks), and i wrote a simple (well, maybe not-so-simple)
shell script which does this for me.  i wrote it for a handheld device,
but i also use it on my thinkpad, and every other laptop i control.  i've
never augmented it to handle wpa connections, but i don't think it
would be hard to do.

anyway, in case someone else finds it usefule, the script and a
short page describing it are available here:
	http://www.foxharp.boston.ma.us/shtumble/

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 28.0 degrees)