[ltp] X60 or X60s?

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:54:13 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Tom Neumann wrote:

> That's exactly what I wanted to know (battery life vs. performance).
>
> What were the issues you faced with your X60 when running Linux?

I originally had an X60s, but the jokers shipped it without Bluetooth.
They replaced it with a X60 (1706-7FE I think). I had repeated issues with
sound, incredible heat, and terrible battery life. Initially, I was told
that it may have been a bad unit and they replaced it, but the second X60
had the same issues.

Finally they replaced it with my current X60s, and all problems went away.

It is noteworthy that in all the 4 machines, I used the same hard disk (no
reinstalls) - just moved the original X60s hard disk to the X60, then the
next X60, then to the final X60s.

> Are there still issues with the X60s?

Absolutely none. Apart from issues I have with pairing BT devices with the
machine (not the machine's fault, Linux recognises it, but kdebluetooth
has issues with pin settings - a forthcoming query to this list :), this
machine is *exactly* what I wanted, and has not let me down in any way.

The battery life is a straight double of what I was getting out of the X60
(between 4-6 hours on the X60s, depending on what I do, v/s about 2-3
hours on the X60).

With my second battery (both batteries are of the extended 8-cell sort,
not the default 4-cell cripple), I have gone straight from Frankfurt to
Bangalore without shutting down (apart from a 2 minute battery change)
sitting in a Lufthansa cattle-class seat (no power socket).

I use the machine for everyday stuff (browse, write, mail, chat, music,
movies, presentations) as well as development (mostly compiling downloaded
apps to tweak to my requirements). I use Fedora Core 6. Since the machine
has 2 GB RAM, I habitually turn off swap, but do not use the laptop mode
extensions. I rarely have issues with hibernation to disk, but suspend to
RAM is iffy with the more recent kernels.

I honestly cannot perceive any performance difference between the X60s and
the X60.

Highly recommended, and I'd buy another in the blink of an eye.

Atul

Atul Chitnis     | mail@atulchitnis.net
Bangalore, India | http://atulchitnis.net