[ltp] Successful WiFi on T30 under SuSE 10.2 with internal PCI RaLink RA2500 cardbus/miniPCI network card

Glenn Hollowell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:02:56 -0900

I've successfully installed wifi on my Thinkpad T-30 that has an
internal PCI RaLink RA2500 cardbus/miniPCI Network Card. I'm running an
updated version of openSuSE 10.2 with a default kernel.

The successful install was done by,
1)downloading the new rt2500-1.1.0-b4 driver from
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

2)following the instructions here:
http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Setting_up_RT61_Wireless_Cards&redirect=no

3)and using the following settings:
	+Network setup method via Traditional with ifup
	+Firewall Zone = Internal unprotected
	+Device activation on hotplug.

I had tried setting this up in December with no luck: either the RT2500
driver has been improved, or perhaps one of my settings was maltweaked.

I am, however still getting wildly oscillating signal strengths reported
by KWiFiManager and it indicates that no networks are found when I do a
"scan for networks" and am getting a good signal from my router.

Good luck!

Glenn