[ltp] IBM Bay Support on Kernel 2.6.20

Hendrik Baecker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:49:56 +0100

Hi List,

I am afraid I am missing something to get support for my Ultrabay
working with my new compiled 2.6.20.

This is what I have done up to now:

 * disable IDE in Kernel completely - DVD/CD Drive is now under control
of ata_piix
 * patched kernel with patch

01-acpi-removable_bay-for-2.6.20.patch <http://whoopie.gmxhome.de/linux/patches/2.6.20/01-acpi-removable_bay-for-2.6.20.patch>
04-ibm_acpi-0.13_20070206-for-2.6.20.patch <http://whoopie.gmxhome.de/linux/patches/2.6.20/04-ibm_acpi-0.13_20070206-for-2.6.20.patch>

from http://whoopie.gmxhome.de/linux/patches/2.6.20/

After patching these to files running make menuconfig and enabled:
Power Management options (ACP, APM) -->
ACPI Support -->
ACPI Support as built in
Dock as Module
Removable Drive Bay as Module
IBM Thinkpad Laptop Extras as Module
(all others are modules too, except of Toshiba Laptop Extras)

The ibm_acpi module is loaded in version 0.13.

On thinkwiki.org (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices#When_using_the_ata_piix_driver)
there is a hint on some hotplug patches from

http://home-tj.org/wiki/index.php/Libata-tj-stable

The script snipplets from thinkwiki.org cause of HAL and bay_- open/close.sh are within my system.

But a cat /proc/acpi/ibm/bay says always: not supported

So nothing further (HAL, ACPI, etc) are interested in the event of de-attach the drive lock.

Is it right, that I need the Hotplug patches for libata to get away from the "not supported"?
Or am I missing something else?
Any hints?

Kind regards
Hendrik