[ltp] R60: eth0 down when cable is pulled

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:24:28 +0100

At Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:25:59 +0100,
Felix E. Klee wrote:
> For example, given that eth0 is assigned IP 192.168.0.5:
>
> * He can ping 192.168.0.5 locally, if the network cable is inserted.
>
> * If the network cable is removed, then pinging 192.168.0.5 locally
>   doesn't work.  This is not what he wants.  The IP 192.168.0.5 should
>   always be reachable locally.

Uh, I just learned that the problem is somewhat different:

* Pinging the 192.168.0.5 works locally under all circumstances (ifplugd
  is disabled).

* Pinging 192.168.0.5 from a virtual machine running under VMware
  through a bridged network connection is what does not work.  And, this
  seems to be normal behavior.

The person now says that with other, older Laptops, he didn't have the
problem.  Could that indeed be the case?  I.e. are there machines where
bridged networking from VMware works, even if the network cable is
detached?  If so, is there a BIOS setting in the R60 that alters the
described behavior?

BTW, I remember seeing some emulator of ThinkPad BIOSes on Lenovo's web
site.  There one could interactively go through the options of a BIOS.
Does anyone have a URL?

--
Felix E. Klee