[ltp] Basic setup t60p - build MBR

Ceruti, Gerard G linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:43:24 +0200

For the sake of completeness

Here are my trial and tribulations.

T60p with XP on internal SATA drive and HDD in Ultrabay for Linux ( dual
boot) , initial install wrote Grub onto the SATA drive and XP not able
to boot, recovered with=20
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=3DMIGR-544=
8
3

Tried to get the boot option to work using the XP Boot loader kept
getting a Grub Error 17.

Eventually did a reinstall and changed the BIOS boot sequence so that
the Ultrabay will be before the internal HDD when inserted.

Not the most elegant of solutions but functional.
=20
Regards
Gerard Ceruti=20

-----Original Message-----
From: James PEARSON [mailto:pearson44j@wanadoo.fr]=20
Sent: 18 December 2006 08:22 PM
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Cc: Ceruti, Gerard G
Subject: Re: [ltp] Basic setup t60p - build MBR

Hello Gerard

If you look at my post "Need a crash course on T60 boot loaders, SVP"
you will see that I am asking
a question close to yours. Newer Thinkpads appear to have "special" MBR
- where special means out of the
ordinary.

IMO, you have two choices:
- use your recovery disks and re install Windows (you did make recovery
disks, didn't you?). This will
reinstall you MBR.
- re install openSUSE (hint, do a full install!!!) and pay particular
attention to the # boot loader # selection
you make. Play with the different choices.=20

Note : if you re install openSUSE and opt to install the  # boot loader
# to the master boot partition all
will work but you will lose access to the blue Thinkadvantage button.
This is what I finally I had to do this
this last weekend and reinstalling serval times - openSUSE and Windows
both boot now - note the order :) =20

Note : I was installing openSUSE on the SATA internal hd, not to the
Ultrabay. If nothing else works, make a 10
Gig partition and opt for the first option because it will allow you to
boot one or the other OS. Worked for me.

Hope this helps

Regards
James =20

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:33:21 +0200
"Ceruti, Gerard G" <Gerard.Ceruti@standardbank.co.za> wrote:

> Hi Folks
> =20
> This past weekend I installed openSUSE 10.2 onto a Ultrabay HDD all
went well until the reboot.
> (XP is installed on the SATA internal drive) Grub reported 'ERROR 21'
I checked the conf files but was unable
> to see any error as both drives where there. I then looked to rebuild
the MBR of XP so that I could at least
> get the Thinkpad up , now here is where the fun started, IBM's
recovery CD's do not allow you to get into M$S
> recovery console ( to issue the FIXMBR cmd) it wants to take the T60
back to factory settings , no thanks,
> trying all the other Boot disks ( getting a USB disk drive is another
story) www.bootdisk.com and M$S

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3D535D248D-5E10-=
4
9B5-B80C-0A0205368124&displaylang=3Den
> none recognise the SATA drive. Anyone got any ideas please. Regards
Gerard
>=20

>=20
> Standard Bank Disclaimer and Confidentiality Note
>=20
> This e-mail, its attachments and any rights attaching hereto are,
unless the context clearly indicates
> otherwise, the property of Standard Bank Group Limited and/or its
subsidiaries ("the Group"). It is
> confidential, private and intended for the addressee only. Should you
not be the addressee and receive this
> e-mail by mistake, kindly notify the sender, and delete this e-mail,
immediately and do not disclose or use
> same in any manner whatsoever. Views and opinions expressed in this
e-mail are those of the sender unless
> clearly stated as those of the Group. The Group accepts no liability
whatsoever for any loss or damages
> whatsoever and howsoever incurred, or suffered, resulting, or arising,
from the use of this email or its
> attachments. The Group does not warrant the integrity of this e-mail
nor that it is free of errors, viruses,
> interception or interference. Licensed divisions of the Standard Bank
Group are authorised financial services
> providers in terms of the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services
Act, No 37 of 2002 (FAIS). For

---------------
> Orange vous informe que cet  e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus
mail.=20
>=20

Standard Bank Disclaimer and Confidentiality Note

This e-mail, its attachments and any rights attaching hereto are, unless =
the context clearly indicates otherwise, the property of Standard Bank Gr=
oup Limited
and/or its subsidiaries ("the Group"). It is confidential, private and in=
tended for the addressee only. Should you not be the addressee and receiv=
e this e-mail by
mistake, kindly notify the sender, and delete this e-mail, immediately an=
d do not disclose or use same in any manner whatsoever. Views and opinion=
expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender unless clearly stated as=
=20those of the Group. The Group accepts no liability whatsoever for any =