[ltp] Updates on the X60,T60 BIOS 2.x brightness up issues

jaime johnson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:54:00 -0800 (PST)

--0-1144367925-1167861240=:58441

Hi all,

T60 2613cto core 2 running Edgy amd64: I was getting X crashes using the fn home for brightness up. I determined there was an acpi event logging to /var/log/acpid/ on that key press. After turning off acpid the fn home keys for brightness up worked fine. In fact, after further experimentation, I found that simply restarting the acpid daemon eliminates the brightness up crashes. I'll build a kernel without the acpi video options mentioned and report back.
Thanks for the info.
Jim

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote: "Puyan" added a page to ThinkWiki, so I took the time to update it with more
up-to-date information on the problem the new ThinkPad BIOSes are having
with Linux and "brighness up" keys.

To be short and sweet: the kernel ACPI video support is fubar before 2.6.20.
Remove it, and all will work.  ibm-acpi is not to blame in this particular
issue :-)

More details at:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_LCD_brightness_buttons

Thanks to all the *60 owners that are helping track this down.  Note that
not all questions surrounding this issue are answered yet.  We don't know if
a quirk (or ibm-acpi interference, if the API allows that) is needed to
disable kernel ACPI video handling for some ThinkPad events, for example.

  Henrique Holschuh