[ltp] Re: thinkpad R40 recovery cd

Anthony J Moulen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:02:39 -0500

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 18:58, James Knott wrote:
> wes schreiner wrote:
> > leg babouyes wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> thank you for your reply. i just wanted to know if i could save some
> >> money. the cd's from lenovo are very expensive.
> >
> > How expensive is free?  I have had hard drives die on out-of-warranty
> > Thinkpads and I just called IBM and they sent out a CD, overnight,
> > free of charge.  Have you even called support?
> >
> > wes
>
> While I can't advise on this specific case, I was able to get a free CD
> while my computer was still under warranty.  According to what I was
> told, there would be a charge if the warranty had expired.  Also, Lenovo
> is not IBM.  They may have different policies.
While this is true, IBM still is managing the support for Lenovo at this time.
When you call you actually reach IBM still.

You can get replacement CDs for free usually if the problem is that your
computer isn't working and you need the CDs now to do a recovery.  I got
recovery CDs for my Z61M when the burn I did of the original hidden partition
failed and I couldn't recover after doing some various testing with different
operating systems.