[ltp] Re: thinkpad R40 recovery cd

Dominik Riebeling linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:47:28 +0100

On 1/6/07, Michael Gaber <Michael.Gaber@gmx.net> wrote:
> check your university if you are member of the MSDNAA and DL a winXP pro
> iso from there, also burn the network and WLAN drivers from the lenovo
> HP to a cd. install windoom, install the drivers and get everything you
> need from the lenovo hp

Your machine has a folder called i386. This contains mostly everything
that is needed to install wxp, in fact, I used that to create a
customized installation disk for my machine. You'll need some
additional file from the internet (the bootsector for the CD which can
be found there without any problems, and as I found that on a windows
admin forum I assume this gets legally distributed -- you can of couse
get it from another windows CD too)

Apart from that, you have a valid key sticking on the bottom of your
machine. It's an OEM key, so it should work with any OEM installation
CD and from the way I understand the license stuff there shouldn't be
any issues in using that key with any legal windows CD. Please verify
yourself about the legal status if you are trying to do so. (The
MSDNAA version is a retail one which requires a different key. If you
are entitled for such a version don't mix it up with the key you find
on your machine, OEM and retail keys are not interchangeable).

Why not just install a nice linux distro and forget about windows? I
have linux running on the same machine happily since I got it.

 - Dominik