[ltp] Enabling OSS compatibility with ALSA

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:15:34 -0500

On Monday 08 January 2007 12:32, after a long battle with technology,
Mendel Cooper wrote:
> Fedora Core seems to automatically enable OSS backward compatibility
> mode with ALSA sound. Mandriva 2007 doesn't.  If you have to do this
> manually, the trick is to do a "modprobe sound" as root.

The ALSA module that provides OSS combatability is called snd_pcm_oss ,
not sound.  sound was the base OSS sound module, much like snd is the
base ALSA sound module.

> You need OSS compatibility for some older apps

Aye.  IMHO, if snd_pcm_oss hasn't been modprobed by the ALSA init
scripts, the distro people screwed up.  The setting to control whether
snd_pcm_oss is modprobed or not is ENABLE_OSS_EMUL="yes"
in /etc/conf.d/alsasound in Gentoo, YDistroWillV.  HTH,

--
   Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
   He wasn't there again today -- I think he's from the CIA.