[ltp] Re: Kdrive x server?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:31:41 +1100

cloakable <cloakable@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to use this server in place of X.org on my thinkpad 240,
> but I'm not sure A: Where to get it, and B: How to compile it :) I'm
> trying to slim down the apps on my laptop, and X.org is consuming 40GB
> on boot.

You mentioned later that you meant 40MB, and with that in mind:

No, it isn't.  Your X server is *NOT* using 40MB of memory.

I bet your video card has, oh, 32MB of memory, right?

So, that 40MB consists of:

  32MB of video memory mmaped into the X server memory space.
   8MB of memory used by code, heap, shared memory, etc by the X server.

If you want to improve performance the X server isn't really the place
to be looking.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact@digital-infrastructure.com.au