[ltp] Goodbye to Linux on my Thinkpad :-(

Václav Štěpán linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:12:28 +0100

Laurent Gilson napsal(a):
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier "Videocard0"
>         Driver "i810"
>         Option "MonitorLayout" "NONE,LFP+CRT"
>         Option "DevicePresence" "true"
>         Option "CheckLid" "false"
>         VendorName "Lenovo"
>         BoardName "Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller"
> EndSection

I used the dual-head setup without problems on earlier 2.6 kernels (to
about 2.6.13 or something like that) without problems. Just the
acceleration did not work (so what, no need for GL in Emacs :-)).

Now (2.6.18) I am able to get accelaration working (even with AIGLX),
however, I am experiencing a lot of trouble with the setup when I try
dual-head with Xinerama and even absolutely without acceleration.

I spent afternoon with that yesterday and the final result was that
I can start X once - it works, but after X shutdown and restart I get
a fancy screen with mouse cursor (dead) and a small square of pixels
with various colors.

It took me ages to find out that I shall not use 0:2:1 but 0:2:0 for
the second head :-) (or I get a fancy message stating VESA BIOS checksum
wrong).

I am angry about this as well - but maybe we shall better try to help
make it better...

Vaclav Stepan