[ltp] Re: Kdrive x server?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:22:59 +1100

cloakable <cloakable@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tuesday 09 January 2007 04:31, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> cloakable <cloakable@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> > I would like to use this server in place of X.org on my thinkpad
>> > 240, but I'm not sure A: Where to get it, and B: How to compile it
>> > :) I'm trying to slim down the apps on my laptop, and X.org is
>> > consuming 40GB on boot.
>>
>> You mentioned later that you meant 40MB, and with that in mind:
>>
>> No, it isn't.  Your X server is *NOT* using 40MB of memory.
>>
>> I bet your video card has, oh, 32MB of memory, right?
>
> Actually, my video card has 2MB memory. NeoMagic 128XD.

Well, that is something of a surprise; usually my magic guesswork powers
are spot on. ;)

Cat you post the content of /proc/<pid of X>/maps file?  That will help
in identifying where the memory use is coming from and, from that, if
you will actually benefit from changing to a distinct X server.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact@digital-infrastructure.com.au