[ltp] Fan-questions again...

Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:24:44 -0200

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Benjamin Buch wrote:
> Got my R52 1846-AQG since christmas, running ubuntu edgy.
> I think I love the tp, only thing that annoys me is the fan noise (as I
> read on thinkwiki I'm not the only one...)

Indeed.
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Embedded_Controller_Firmware#Bug:_Fan_control_loop_pulses_the_fan_in_an_annoying_pattern

All T43, R52 users that are not either hacking their firmware or using
something like tp_fancontrol are being subject this ridiculous bug.

> -why does the fan start at rather cool temperatures?
> CPU ~43° (I'm using gnome sensors applet to read it).

Get the latest ibm-acpi patches, and read the temps from
/proc/acpi/ibm/thermal.  There are 12 of them, and CPU ain't the one that
causes trouble with the fan.

See http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Thermal_Sensors

> -why are there different fan speeds within the same speed level?

EC bug and the need to work around design limitations on the el-cheapo fan
tachometers used in cooling fans.

> -is the auto-mode in ibm-acpi 0.13 that comes with kernel 2.6.20 the
> same auto-mode programmed by Yury Polyanskiy? (Where you can set min and
> max temperature thresholds)

It is whatever your EC firmware calls "auto mode".  Which is noisy as all
heck due to a bug, unless you hacked your EC firmware.

> -first thing I did was a firmware-upgrade. My impression is that since
> then the tp is more noisy than before. Would it be a good idea to
> "downgrade" firmware? (I have my doubts...)

No.  And it won't help, anyway.

  Henrique Holschuh