[ltp] Gentoo Linux on T42p, two problems

Eric Munson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:34:33 -0700

I have Gentoo has been running well for me for the past year now but I have
been forced to run the ATI binary drivers inorder to use an external monitor
along with the internal LCD.  The latest update of the binary drivers has
changed something pretty major because when my mouse pointer is in the second
screen is shows up as a square of visual noise.  So I tried moving to the
free driver and using a MergedFB setup but I cannot get it to work on both
monitors.  Usually the external monitor is live but the internal displays
nothing.  Xorg.0.log is not helpful, it reports everything went fine for both
cases.  I would prefer to use the free driver but having both displays
working is a higher priority su if anyone can suggest a solution I would
appreciate it.  My xorg.conf file for the free driver can be found at
http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~emunson/xorg.conf.free

My second problem is sound no longer works after a fresh boot until I run the
alsaconf script.  Afterwards it works fine, where can I start looking for the
cause of this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Eric Munson