[ltp] Re: _very_ high temperatures

Johannes Boy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:11:15 +0100

I've got a z61p with core duo 2ghz (same as Anthonys).
When I nail down the CPUs with cpufreq_powersave, the temperatures
stay at around 60=B0C, even when used heavily.
As soon as I put the performance governor into play and add some
workload, they jump up to 88-90=B0C within seconds. The GPU even jumps
to 100=B0C with a little load on it.
When I watch a movie on my notebook, I can use it to cook some eggs on
the underside afterwards :(

It might be interesting to know if this also happens under Windows
(assuming Windows knows how to handle the stuff properly).
If the temperatures go up that high, it may be normal. If not,
something is wrong with the kernel I guess.
Soo, any Windows users out there who could report about this?

On 1/11/07, Karel Podvolecky <kapo@ok.cvut.cz> wrote:

> Anthony J Moulen napsal(a):

> >> I don't have a T60, but you seriously need to call the technical suppo=
rt
> >> of IBM/Lenovo. I'm pretty sure this is not normal at all and you have =
> >> problematic thinkpad. If it is not under warranty, you may want to che=
ck
> >> if the thermal gel is properly applied.
> >> Jiang
> >>
> > This is definitely not right, I have a Z61M which uses the same chip
> > essentially (but mine is a 2ghz) and I know a couple of people with T60=
> > units with the 1.83 chip and none of us have this problem.  Check you C=
PU