[ltp] Gentoo Linux on T42p, two problems

Eric Munson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:50:14 -0700

> > > My second problem is sound no longer works after a fresh boot until
> > > I run the alsaconf script.  Afterwards it works fine, where can I
> > > start looking for the cause of this?
>
> This is weird.  After running alsaconf, there should be
> an /etc/modules.d/alsa file created with the line "alias snd-card-0
> snd-intel8x0" in it.  You should've done "rc-update add alsasound
> default" so that the alsasound script starts up at boot.  Also, check
> in /etc/conf.d/alsasound to make sure that the thing isn't being muted
> on boot.  I have had absolutely no problems with sound on my Gentoo
> T42p so I don't know exactly where else to look here.

alsasound was alread in run level default, the alsa file under /etc/modules.d
looks like this:

[snip comments]
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.14rc1 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

alsamixer shows that the sound is not muted on any of the output channels, but
I still don't have sound until I run alsaconf.