[ltp] are all power adapters 16V, w/ same plug?

Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:24:39 +0000

Paul Fox wrote:
> i have an X41, which came with the 56W (3.5A) power adapter.
>
> i need a second adapter -- as i browse ebay, can i assume the
> plug is identical on the thinkpad 4.5A adapter?

You should be OK, provided that:

* The plug fits physically.
* The polarity is the same
* The voltage is the same
* The adapter is rated for a current at least as high as the laptop
requires.

Generally, if it's a thinkpad, and the plug fits, you're OK.

Best wishes,

Richard

P.S. On eBay, make sure you get a genuine IBM part, not a "compatible"
one. I bought a "compatible" one by mistake, and although it works fine,
it makes a noticeable whining noise.