[ltp] Flash HD in R51 (via CF and ultrabay)

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:52:28 +0100

Hello,

i plan to upgrade my R51 with a flash-based HD and i'm seraching
for the cheap way out. I only need ~2GB space and speed is not the
real problem. I'm well aware of the limited-number-of-writes problem
and plan to use a wild combination of RAMfs, unionfs and 2 GB RAM.

Real SSD-Drives seem a bit pricey and around here no shop has them.

So i'm thinking about a CF <-> IDE adapter (like this:
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3D16#p2620 ) and maybe a ultrabay
HDD adapter. But:

1. Is it true that ultrabay enhanced thinkpads accept ultrabay slim
devices ? The slim-edtition can be found everywhere but not the
enhanced one.

2. Do these HDD adapters show up as a real, normal IDE-HD ?

3. Any firmware/BIOS based limits ? Like only HDs branded by IBM/Lenovo =
?

4. What is the maximal HD-height these ultrabay slim HDD adapter
accept ?

5. Do R51 thinkpads boot of ultrabay HD if i remove the normal HD ?

6. Did somebody on this list try something like that before ? Did they
find a IDE-CF adapter that fits into the normal R51 HD-bay ?

Thanks.