[ltp] Dead T22 (probably corrupted BIOS)

Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:16:44 +0000

Dear All,

I just bought a "spares or repair" T22, intending to turn it into a
digital photo frame for my mother. The seller described it as "Having a
BIOS security lock" following a failed BIOS update. I assumed it was a
password needing reset (for which there are published instructions
involving an EEPROM, solder and a serial port). However, it looks in
fact like the machine has a corrupt BIOS.

On power-on:
   The HDD and CD spin up
   It beeps like this:   *    * * *     * * *     *
   The LCD doesn't come on (not even the backlight)
   It doesn't sound like the machine is booting.

So I got as far as this:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46018
which tells me it could be either a faulty DIMM or system board.

Already tried removing the installed DIMM and the CMOS battery, with no
luck. So:

  Do I in fact have a trashed BIOS? [Would that account for a beep code
normally used for a system-board error?]

  If so, does anyone have any pointers on what next?

Thanks for your help,

Richard