[ltp] R40 blown USB controller

Matt Herzog linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:54:16 -0500

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 06:59:28PM -0600, Pablo Vera wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have an R40 (2681-KLU) and today while connecting an MP3 player, it
> suddenly rebooted and I smelled something burning.  So I quickly turned
> it off and removed the battery.  After a while, I put the battery back
> in and turn it on.  At first it didn't start, but after some time I was
> able to boot again.
>
> Everything seemed normal, all was working fine, until I got home.  At
> the office I use a port replicator to connect all my peripherials, but
> at home I simply plug in an USB mouse to work.
>
> Well the mouse wasn't working, and after testing other USB devices
> (flash drive, palm pda) I concluded that something was wrong with the
> USB ports.  At first I thought that maybe I had blown a fuse or
> something and that the USB ports were powerless.  But after checking
> some more I discovered that power was fine (palm charged, optical mouse
> lights up, card reader powers up), but eventhough the laptop detects
> both EHCI and UHCI controllers, it does not detects when I plug anything
> in.
>
> So, my final conclusion is that I more or less blew the USB controllers,
> but not their power source.
>
> What do you think ?, is there anything I can do to fix my USB ports ?

USB ports are soldered to the motherboard. Typically the entire
motherboard is replaced. I have met people who can solder on new chips
but they did it for fun, not as a business.

By the way, do you have built-in wireless on your R40? If so, can you
type "lspci -nv > out.txt" and mail out.txt to me? I need to change the
ID on a wireless mini-pci NIC.