[ltp] R40 blown USB controller

Pablo Vera linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:23:09 -0600

Matt Herzog wrote:

> USB ports are soldered to the motherboard. Typically the entire
> motherboard is replaced. I have met people who can solder on new chips
> but they did it for fun, not as a business.

That's what I thought, maybe I'll buy a USB2 PCMCIA card and just plug
it in when I need a USB port.

> By the way, do you have built-in wireless on your R40? If so, can you
> type "lspci -nv > out.txt" and mail out.txt to me? I need to change the
> ID on a wireless mini-pci NIC.

Yes I do, but it is not the one that came with this laptop, I replaced
it with an Intel ProWireless 2200bg that I bought in eBay.  This one is
supposed to be made specially for IBM laptops.  Before installing it, I
upgraded both the BIOS and the embedded controller (whatever that is).

Thanks,
Pablo

lspci -v

0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
(rev 05)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2711
	Memory at d0204000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: <available only to root>

lspci -nv

0000:02:02.0 0280: 8086:4220 (rev 05)
	Subsystem: 8086:2711