[ltp] flash 9 linux released

hackmiester (Hunter Fuller) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 06:55:37 -0600

On 17 January 2007, at 11:56, Andrew Barr wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 15:57 +0100, Grant Williamson wrote:
>> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2007/01/
>> flash_player_9_for_linux_x86.html
>
> I am waiting for Gnash, personally. The Flash 9 player, at least the
> beta, is a PITA (one that I'm not willing to deal with) on AMD64,
> if it
> will work at all; what's more, because of the asinine design decisions
> on the part of Adobe, there is _no_ hardware acceleration used, and
> while they manage impressive performance despite that, it causes my
> Thinkpad R51 (1.6 GHz P-M with 768 MB RAM) to seize up every time
> something _other_ than the playing Youtube (or whatever) video
> grabs the
> CPU's attention--incoming message in Gaim, for example.

That's not good. Mine doesn't do that. (I DO have 1gB RAM, but
otherwise we have identical systems.)
What browser do you use?

> Personally, I wish there was a Mozilla plugin that was smart enough to
> emulate the vast majority of the Flash video player apps in native
> C/C++
> using Xvideo and Mplayer. There are Greasemonkey userscripts for
> Youtube, but it doesn't work for other sites or Youtube embeds.
> (Aside:
> It amuses me that there are 2,000 different Flash video player apps
> yet
> this is the same proprietary software crowd that sees the supposed
> fragmentation of the Linux desktop as a weakness.)
>
> Flash has two uses on the Web--adverts and video. The former I have no
> use for and is largely blocked by Adblock Plus. We already _have_
> video
> player plugins, there's no need to be redundant. There are, of course,
> incredibly badly designed sites that use Flash for almost
> everything but
> fortunately I don't deal with any of those on a regular basis.
>
> Andrew
> --

hackmiester (Hunter Fuller)

<badaboom> who can help me ? i'm french and i don't know irc
<Paladine> can't help you with the being french part, you are screwed
their mate

Phone
Voice: +1 251 589 6348
Fax: Call the voice number and ask.