[ltp] recovery partition useful? (was Re: Installed Grub...)

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:20:33 -0500

simon wrote:

 > Have you or will you ever use this R&R thing? It sounds entirely
 > pointless to me. Recovery things never work properly. This just appears

is that true, in this case?  i actually would be more inclined to
trust a "put-everything-back-as-new" partition written by ibm than
i would be to trust XP to work right in the first place.

 > [grrr] Recovery partitions are ****ing stupid. [/grrr]

so, show of hands -- has anyone successfully restored their machine
using the ibm recovery partition on (any) thinkpad?  have you done
so after installing linux, which presumably shoved the existing
partitions and boot records around somewhat?

paul
who also has both XP and a recovery partition, and has been assuming
there was a reason to keep both.
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 30.9 degrees)